A message from your Mayor

If you have a question regarding bushfire, fireworks or fire safety, please contact our Customer Care team on 8256 0333

Burning in the open

Do I need permission to burn off?

The new Environment Protection (Air Quality Policy) 2016 came into effect with the intention of boosting the health of South Australians, their communities and the environment through improved air quality.

The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) policy, which took effect from 23 July 2016, includes a number of changes to allowable burning activities in Council areas.

Check to see what permit you require below:

Burning permit map


Click to enlarge


Burning Permits

Residents in the east of the council area (blue zone in map above) may conduct burn offs for bushfire prevention under the City of Playford General Notice Burning Permit without applying for an individual permit, provided they abide by the conditions of the Notice. Burning for agricultural and/or horticultural purposes requires individual permits.

A Burning Permit can be issued by the City of Playford under certain circumstances to residents in the west of the council area (green zone in the map above).

Applications for 2018 are now closed.

For more information call 8256 0333 or visit the CFS website. 

Note: Please allow up to 10 business days from the time Council receives your application for it to be processed. 

Burning Permits help to ensure the safety of those that are doing the burning, as well as the surrounding neighbours and community. It also ensures that all burning is done within the rules and regulations and also assists in bushfire prevention to reduce the amount of materials that could catch fire in an emergency. 



Policy conditions and requirements

Can I use a fire for the preparation of food and beverages?


No permit or permission required. The fire must be restricted to a size adequate for the preparation of food or beverage.

Can I use a brazier, chiminea or a fire pit for outdoor domestic heating?


No permit or permission required. Fuel is restricted to charcoal only

Can I still have a campfire in the course of camping, scouting or a similar outdoor recreational activity?


No longer permitted as of 23 July 2016. Council may grant permits in extenuating circumstances.

Can I still burn agricultural or forestry waste?


Council approval through individual permit or general notice published in a newspaper

Will still be able to burn off for bushfire hazard reduction?


Council approval through individual permit or general notice published in a newspaper

Post: 12 Bishopstone Road, Davoren Park SA 5113 | Visit: Playford Civic Centre, 10 Playford Boulevard, Elizabeth
Decrease font sizeReset font sizeIncrease font size
a great place to live, work and play...