Today's Libraries are Amazing Places
The Elizabeth South Public Library was opened on December 11 1957 by Sir Thomas Playford, making it the first free municipal public library to open in South Australia. Sir Thomas was also the first to join and became member of this library.
Subsequent branches were constructed over the intervening years:
- Elizabeth North opening 4 July 1960
- Elizabeth Town Centre opening 15 September 1969
In 2004 the Playford Civic Centre moved and re-opened in it's present premises - the Playford Civic Centre.
In 2006 the Munno Para (Smithfield) branch was opened within the Munno Para Shopping Centre
In December 2007 the Playford Library Service celebrated its 50th birthday!Opening of Elizabeth South Public Library 1957 Playford Civic Centre Library today
The City of Playford Library Service is a leading resource for information, education and recreation; responding to the special needs of our community.
We will preserve and make accessible our local history and culture. We are committed to providing quality customer service, equity of access and support life-long learning. We will encourage children to develop reading skills, become information literate and we will develop in our youth the love and habit of reading.