A message from your Mayor

Construction Noise

Nuisance Matters

Council often receives enquires from members of the public to find out to who is responsible for issues such as noise, dust, waste, pollution, fences and retaining walls and boundary encroachments.

The responsible organisation is not always clear,  the following aims to act as a guide for residents to ensure they contact the correct organisation on these matters.

Construction Noise

Some activities on construction sites are noisy. Although some noise may be unavoidable, it can often be controlled using improved work practices. The responsible person, being the owner, occupier or contractor must take all reasonable and practicable measures to minimise noise resulting from the activity and to reduce its impact.

What can be done about construction noise?

Try contacting the responsible person in a friendly way. They may not realise the effect the noise is having on nearby residents. Subject to the noise type, often the builder or site workers can immediately reduce the noise. That is, by speaking more quietly, turning down radios, using quieter equipment or by moving machinery away from the affected house. It is also possible to negotiate an agreement about the times they will undertake particularly noisy activities.

Construction of residential premises

Before approaching site workers or the builder, think about balancing the needs of the owner and the builder. If noisy work is occurring after hours and site workers are not willing to compromise, and you cannot wait to contact the building company during normal office hours, then contact the police on 131 444 while the noise is occurring. The police can make an assessment and if appropriate, take action under the Environment Protection Act.

Construction of industrial/commercial premises

If the noise is coming from the construction of industrial or commercial premises, then contact the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) Customer Services Centre on (08) 8204 2004, during normal working hours.

Where can I find out further information?

Further information is available from the EPA website available through the following link -http://www.epa.sa.gov.au/business_and_industry/what_you_need_to_know/noise_pollution

Post: 12 Bishopstone Road, Davoren Park SA 5113 | Visit: Playford Civic Centre, 10 Playford Boulevard, Elizabeth
Decrease font sizeReset font sizeIncrease font size
a great place to live, work and play...